Monday, March 3, 2008

It only takes a sock

IT ONLY TAKES ONE SOCK TO CLOG THE WASHER (or utility sink).

Thursday morning, I did my typical routine of "toss a load in the washer".

Earlier in the morning, while getting clean school clothes for my kindergartner, I had earlier emptied the dryer, and sorted the clothes into nice, neat piles on the laundry-area floor.

A little less than an hour later, I went into the basement to do my "cycle the laundry": put wash in the dryer. (If clothes are in the dryer, take them out; If clean clothes are in the basket/ on the floor in front of the dryer fold-if needed- and put away...).

To my dismay, my socked feed got soggy as I entered the laundry-area: A FLOOD not of Biblical proportions, but water was all over the floor, covering about a third of the basement. I waded (not quite, but my feet were indeed wet) through the pathway and discovered a stopped-up utility sink.

I discovered an innocent toddler sock which had stopped up the drain.

After a phone call, the wetvac was found and put to good use.
After some good exercise, the floor no longer had puddles of water in it.
After a couple MORE loads of laundry, there were only a handful of ruined articles of clothing.
After a headache, I determined to ALWAYS CHECK THE UTILITY SINK BEFORE TURNING ON THE WASHER!
After this lesson, maybe I'll NOT leave clean clothes on the floor either?
After a full morning, things that I had planned to get to in the morning, got done in the afternoon.

C'est la vie.

No comments: