Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fireworks, anyone?

This past weekend, we went to a fun family bar-b-que and fireworks. (A scant 40 miles away, but, being that it was on the OTHER side of NYC, it did take almost two hours to get there.)

The kids enjoyed running around in the LARGE yard (size of about 5 of our yards put together). Kids enjoyed the wading pools.

Kids enjoyed the food.

Kids (except 11 month old who slept through them) DID NOT enjoy the fireworks. It was too loud for those little ears. "Why did we have to go see them?" "Why?" "I just want to go home". "Are they over yet?" "How much longer?" "Please hold me mom".

Moral of the story: Next time, I'll bring ear plugs... prepare the kids... bring comfort things.... and try to have Daddy come with! Aunts and Uncles (and Cousins) tried to help me console the 3 older kids (while I had sleeping baby in my arms with blanket to shield the noise).

Or, maybe I'll do what I've done every other year: try to honor kiddie bedtime, leave before the fun walk to the park for the firework display, and deprive my kids of the American pastime of watching firework display.

No comments: